.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Friday, December 30, 2005

Year in Review: Top Movies & other lists

My top 5 Tamil movie picks (of the ones I have seen) of the year...

5. Chandramukhi, starring Rajnikanth & Jyotika - the biggest Tamil movie of all time had everything for the thalaivar faithful. Though devoid of trademark Rajni ishtyle it became a wild fire, and according to some accounts breached the 100 crore barrier. However the movie had nothing to offer to the connoisseur.

4. Sachein, starring Vijay & Genelia - even I am surprised that I have included this movie. I must confess this movie didn't go well with many. But I liked it because it showed the Vijay of old, the romantic hero. Genelia d'Souza might not know anything about acting, but her cute looks easily overcompensated for that gap. The picturisation was excellent. A very enjoyable movie, but flopped.

3. Kanda Naal Mudhal, starring Prasanna & Laila - recent and fresh, a simple urban tale of love. Good songs and an excellent performance from Prasanna, gives Duet Productions a second consecutive hit.

2. Anniyan, starring Vikram, Vikram, Vikram & Shankar - hugely expensive movie, Shankar splashed cash left, right, centre and hajaar possible directions. Save for Vikram's acting, a disappointment, especially because the storyline had nothing new. Delightful songs proved a major saviour.

1. Thavamai Thavamirunthu, starring Rajkiran & Cheran - Cheran does it again. For the second year running, his movie wins top honours from me. Rajkiran should be a top contender for the National Award for Best Actor. A simple, yet long tale of a father's struggle in raising and dealing with his children, it struck a chord with me. Look no further!

In compiling the above, I have not considered Ghajini, which I have not seen and which according to many might be better than some of the movies in my list. Other than this, I loved Arinthum Ariyamalum. Judging by the posters, promos and songs, I expected a very different kinda movie. It was different, but different from what I thought. A pleasant surprise.

Some other picks...

Most overhyped movie of the year: Raam - sad and sick!

Best soundtrack: Anniyan (Harris Jayaraj). I would place Arinthum Ariyamalum (Yuvan Shankar Raja) at number two, and Ghajini (Harris, again) at number three.

Worst song of the year: Ennatha solvenungo? from the movie Sivakasi

Worst pronunication of the year: Madhushree. In the song Mayilirage from Ah Aah, she sings "Kaadhal dhaan kall ezhuthu" (our love will be etched in stone) as "Kaadhal dhaan kall adithu" (love flung stones at us). Shame! Sacrilege!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VK, even worse, she pronounced Kaadhal as Kadhal...hear that again.. same pinch! that definitely is the worst pronuniciation of the year!
I've seen only 2 and 5 of ur list. so i shudn't comment.

Of whatever i've seen, Arindhum..Ghazini,2,5 would be my list.

12/31/2005 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Karthigeyan said...

a nice one, really cool

1/31/2006 06:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home