.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Year in Review: Top 10 songs

My top 10 for the year...

10. Raa Raa, movie: CHANDRAMUKHI - When I first saw the song name, I thought it would be similar to Raa Raa Ramaiah in Baasha. The surprise was lurking. Telugu lyrics. Can't understand, but the composition was good. Another Carnatic-based number. However Jyotika's dancing was funny. Only I could have done worse.

9. Chi Chi Chi, movie: MAJAA - I hated - absolutely abhorred - this song during the first helping. But subsequently, this mesmerising number has climbed into my top 10 list. Very good improvisation in the charanam. Starts badly - unconventionally, rather - and surprises as it moves. Typical Vidyasagar duet. Shankar Mahadevan excels.

8. Enna Paarkiraai, movie: THAVAMAI THAVAMIRUNDHU - "Why should such a good song end so abruptly?" was my initial reaction (you'll know if you see the movie). Excellent interludes (flute?). I would have placed it at 8 just for this one line - "Thanimai kodiyadha?"

7. Thazhuvudhu Nazhuvudhu, movie: ANBE AARUIYIRE - Another hate-love relationship. The refrain "Oru kanam oodal, maru kanam koodal, irandaiyum..." is winning! SPB, you are a world champion!

6. Theepidikka Theepidikka, movie: ARINTHUM ARIYAMALUM - Don't know if MKT would have appreciated it, everyone else has! Without doubt, the remix of the century!

5. Ding Dong Koyilmani, movie: JI - The only relieving feature of a complete failure of a movie. The initial humming is too good. Madhu Balakrishnan deserves a kudos!

4. Iyengaru Veettu Azhage, movie: ANNIYAN - The one song that gives single Tam-Brahms like me any hope at all! I virtually lived with this song during my many slogfests (alternate term for long working days). Harris Jayaraj's mastery is evident!

3. Chinna Chinna Sigarangal, movie: KANAA KANDEN - Percussion makes perfect. A fabulous song. Both singers (especially Sunitha Sarathy) have done well.

2. Oru Maalai Ilaveyil, movie: GHAJINI - In many lists, this would be numero uno. What happens when two great talents come together? A world-beating song. Karthik + Harris Jayaraj, a combo potent of defeating anyone. Great! Great!! Great!!!

And...

1. Konjam Konjam, movie: ARINTHUM ARIYAMALUM - In many lists, this song would be absent. I have already dedicated a post in praise of this song and the singer, Maheeva Mahua Kamat. I should have listened to this one song a few hundred times, and each time, I discover something. This number combines a lot of styles, of which the qawwali stands out. I have no second thoughts... this is the best Tamil movie song of the year.

But hang on...

My profession demands that I do something nerdy. Since computers start counting from zero, I'm still left with one position to fill up. But this is a special position, and it has to be filled up with something really really special... Which is Ilaiyaraaja's Thiruvasagam. The entire album, I've heard nothing like it. And chances are I may never! To someone who leans towards divinity, this is a treasure trove! I would rate the entire album at position zero, but if asked for one specific song, I would settle for Koththumbi!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No.5 is one of the true 'haunting melodies', to use a cliche (which itself is a cliche, but I digress..(damn! another cliche))

The only jarring bit about the song is the use of the words 'Ding Dong'... I have no idea what else could have been used in place of that, but anything would be better than 'Ding Dong'.... no really..

12/30/2005 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Oru Maalai Ilaveyil you've forgotten one person... Thaamarai... we've had men lyricists writing songs of man->woman, woman -> man...

women lyricists are themselves rare. writing a man->woman song is even rarer... the lyrics were really romantic.

12/31/2005 01:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Hi Vijaya Krishna,

Wishing You and Your Family a New Year thats Filled with all the Excitement of Living Each day to the fullest

12/31/2005 08:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home