.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kaatrinile varum geetham...

My friend and colleague, Anuradha remembers December 11 for another reason.

The same day last year, the airwaves became suddenly bereft of divinity, as Madurai Shanmugavadivu Subbulakshmi, inarguably the most famous exponent of Carnatic music of the 20th century breathed her last.

"Varundhum uyirkku isai marundhaagum" says a recent Tamil song. (Music is the medicine for troubled souls.) Anu concurs...
I loved her voice; however troubled I was, her "Bhaja Govindam" or "Kaatrinile Varum Geetham" was sufficient to calm me...

"Kurai onrum illai" she sang. No regrets in life? I try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Soumyadip said...

The nuances of classical music I can't comprehend, but when it comes to exponents like Subbulakshmi the barriers of understanding fade away and I sway by the lilting vocals.

12/16/2005 02:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home