.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Monday, June 05, 2006

The irony

Practitioners of the medical profession are supposed to take an oath - the Hippocratic Oath - so named because it is believed to have been written by Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine according to the Greeks. It begins thus:

I swear by Apollo the physician, by Æsculapius, Hygeia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgement, the following Oath.
Going by the current debate on all the English news channels, one can spot an irony. It has now been concluded by these channels that the Apollo report was doctored (wow, an unintentional wordplay, really!).

I wonder what would have happened had this report been considered as true. In court, Rahul Mahajan's lawyers would have said:

Your Honour, my client is not guilty; I swear by Apollo!
And had the doctors who prepared the report been asked to testify in court, what would that have been called? The hypocritic oath?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, i didn't know they actually say the Hygeia, Panacea stuff.

6/05/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr.Prathap Reddy would have named his then fledging enterprise by sincerely thinking about Greek God Apollo. Now, the business interests and the media fanatics had given this name a new twist.

6/05/2006 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where in the world do you get hold of all these stuff? Hippocratic oath! This is the first time i'm hearing about it.. Anyways, good article and thanks for the enlightenment!!

6/05/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Parijat said...

#0 Write about how to get more hits to your blogs

6/06/2006 11:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home