.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Spoonerism

Spoonerism (spn-rzm)
n.
A transposition of sounds of two or more words, especially a ludicrous one, such as Let me sew you to your sheet for Let me show you to your seat.

I made up one last night...
Harry Potter <--> Happy Rotter

5 Comments:

Blogger Vinayak said...

what's a spoonerism then????

2/08/2006 08:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, Kini. It is "spoonerism", and not malapropism, as I had mal-appropriately thought.

2/08/2006 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Vinayak said...

err...was it easier to change the blog post than think of of a malapropism ;)

2/08/2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

i guess there r times when we unintentioanlly blurt out a spoonerism. It's really fun sometimes!

2/09/2006 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Silly Sally said...

Hi Dude..

Just came across ur blog accidentally...Serendipity if i shud name it more aptly...
Real Good one.. This happy rotter thing caught my attention cos i must tell u we used to be mad abt this spoonerism thinggy during our coll. days way back that we derived happy rotter sometime in 2002 end...Thnx to u for giving me a lil. jog down the memory lanes.. :-)

2/12/2006 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home