.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What's in a name?

I have never done anything that would get my name in the papers. And there are strong indications I might never make it either. The only thing I can be pleased about in all this is that I haven't done anything negative enough to make my name notorious.


I slogged hard was lucky enough to finish my schooling with top honours, yet my school did not publish any advertisements in the newspapers. Imagine, guys who had secured a good 20 to 30 marks less than me found their photos and names in The Hindu and The Indian Express and many Tamil dailies - and all of them looked like hardly-out-of-creche momma's boys.

I also used to write to newspaper editors, but just for fun. I have written a hundred times to The Hindu telling them that they are becoming incresingly page 3. After all, which newspaper editor will publish your letter if you dare him to do it? Again, if you glance at the Letters to the Editor column, you'll know how bland your letter needs to be in case you want to get it published. Vapid journalists and vapider readers!

But, as if Mumbai Mirror was eavesdropping on my entire life, and wanted to put an end to the sorry run that I have had with the media, they have published an excerpt from my blog, on Sharad Pawar's elevation to the BCCI top job. I wouldn't have known this at all, but thanks to Anthony, I did manage to find it. Voilà, that's like my fifteen minutes seconds of fame!


However, when great (?) things happen, you always suspect that something is odd. If you look at the image above, you'll understand. Instead of publishing my name, Mumbai Mirror has published just the permalink of my blog post! And that means, my name still hasn't figured in any newspaper!

Life ho to aisi!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, the link is not working...
It is saying "Subsequent to the notices issued by the Mumbai Police to the Publisher and Editor of Mumbai Mirror and in view of the sentiments expressed by some activist NGOs pertaining to the contents in the November 12- 18 issue of Mumbai Mirror Buzz magazine, we have requested the venders and distributors of the magazine as well as our own sales colleagues to stop sales of this issue, and to return the undistributed material back to us."

Note the dates.. the link is definitely wrong. Please update sirji.

12/01/2005 04:44:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ anon, the link to mumbai mirror changes.. u might have search for the particular articl in the archive.
VK, so you had your 5 minutes of fame lol. I check mumbai mirror everyday to see if they mention any blog I know.. When i saw it was vkpedia, and thx to the parmalink I saw pawar shift and the headline was also pawar shift. in my haste i just posted it.. Thx to you and amit who pointed out that it was cliched pun..

12/01/2005 04:59:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

..you'll know how bland your letter needs to be in case you want to get it published..

I'll say. Most letters these days are excellent examples of 'stating the bleeding obvious in the most pretentious way possible'.

The worst cases are are letters that consist almost entirely of text from a previous article, and end with a "Well said" or "I couldn't agree more".

Incidentally, when I was in Mumbai, I felt the TOI letters to the editor were pretty good, even if it refuses to publish the TOI-bashing ones.

12/01/2005 05:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Anon: Even I found it tough to trace back to the page. As I've said, good things never happen totally. Something always fails.

Thanks Anthony, without you I would never have been able to lay claim to fame.

@Shrik: Outlook is the only MSM I've read that regularly publishes letters contrary to the views expressed in their articles. Maybe ToI is catching up too.

12/01/2005 08:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home