.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sun TV clarifies

For an article I had posted about Tamil Murasu, I had received multiple spam comments, which I discovered came from Sun TV's office. Through a friend close to Sun TV, I had mailed them stating that this was an unwarranted and disturbing happening, which was bringing them a lot of negative publicity.

Yesterday, I received a reply from Sun TV. I'm blanking out the email addresses.

Date: Fri 14 Oct 2005 02:19:25 AM EDT
From: sax
To: Vijay Krishna
Subject: [No Subject]

Dear Vijay,

This is in reference to your email to Ms.______. I have forwarded your mail to our IT dept and our Web Dept for necessary action. Their initial response is as follows

We are an ISP (Internet Service Provider) also, and thus there are thousands of general public who are our customers in Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderbad, Cochin and other places who use our pipe and we have also sublet out pipe to lot of internet Kiosks, so we cannot squarely blame it on one of our employees, and even if we assume it is one of them, it will be difficult to trace it to a single individual, since all our employees have access to common internet terminals in our network offices and there are nearly 7000 employees across our 52 offices spread over India.

Anyway I have to clearly state that SUN NETWORK strongly believes and supports Freedom of Speech, and we regret any inconvenience caused to you by some one who misused our Internet pipe.

In case if you require any further clarification, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Thanking you,

Regards,

Hansraj Saxena

(Vice President – Programming)
Even when I mailed them, I had assumed that the comments should have come from some individual who didn't like what I wrote in my blog, and that the organisation should not suffer needlessly. The object of my mail therefore was not to complain but to inform. To be honest, I feel Sun TV has acted in fairness in this issue. The fact that they have chosen to respond to my mail, and the courtesy and promptness that they have displayed pleasantly surprises me.

That the mail takes pains to state that their organisation "strongly believes and supports" freedom of expression comes as a joy, in fact a welcome relief, when compared to the cheap behaviour displayed by organisations like IIPM.

I may not like Sun TV's stance on some issues or some of their offerings, but that won't stop me from saying that I'm bowled over by their civility. No doubt, they are South India's number one media house!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I generally assume and expect such civility. It is like not patting a person when he is following the traffic rules! ;))
KG.

10/15/2005 08:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very nice of them. As you say, it comes at a time when IIPM has acted petty. And I'm sure Sun is much more powerful, resourceful and has more clout.

10/15/2005 09:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, and good for Sun TV. However, you mucst consider that they are on dangerous footing given that you could make a big issue of a Sun TV representative harassing you (if you wanted to...)

10/19/2005 08:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's good... naan itha yethir paakkalai.

10/22/2005 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's good... naan itha yethir paakkalai.
Shanky

10/22/2005 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Anand K said...

Even I wouldn't have expected a response.. I think u got it only coz u routed it thru' someone on the inside!! Otherwise// an automated reply might have been the result!!

10/24/2005 12:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home