.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Express carries it, finally!

The Indian Express (Mumbai Edition) has carried an article on the current blogstorm. It is heartening to note that the mainstream media, which has till now acted comfortably numb to the issue, is waking up.

Kaps and I had asked Sudhish Kamath (of The Hindu) why the media was acting deaf-mute to this issue. His response was that his newspaper doesn't react unless one of the parties comes out with a press release. Well, I cannot fault him on that. However, I am surprised that the media in our country works on such dated principles. I wonder what press release The Hindu waited for before covering the recent earthquake or last year's tsunami. Perhaps the media stands testimony to the statement "When confronted with a problem, people don't think; they simply re-adjust their prejudices!"

The Express article states...

With word spreading in the ‘blogosphere’, the incident has now erupted into a major controversy and hundreds of bloggers are standing by Sabnis and espousing their right to freedom of speech

Further it quotes A. Sandeep, the all-India dean of IIPM as saying that he has "no idea about it." On the legal (t)angle, the article seems to side with the institute.

Legally, IIPM is well within its rights in taking the blogger to court, said advocate Vishwas Patel. ‘‘The organisation’s reputation is tarnished by such statements and if it continues to be eroded, it can resort to civil and criminal procedures under defamation laws,’’ he said.

5 Comments:

Blogger Toufeeq said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/13/2005 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger Toufeeq said...

http://flickr.com/photos/toufeeq/52170691/

Should put a smile on you face. :)

10/13/2005 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Vijay Krishna Narayanan said...

Dilip, I chose the wrong word to describe it.

I had wanted to state that the article conveyed, contrary to the general opinion in blogosphere, IIPM could take them to court.

10/14/2005 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

Hey Vijay, what happened to my comment that you've responded to?

10/14/2005 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Vijay Krishna Narayanan said...

Dilip, this is extremely surprising, 'cos I cannot find it myself. I swear I didn't delete it! And I'm amazed at what's happened.

In any case, I'll re-post Dilip's comment.

"But actually Vijay, IIPM is within its rights to go to court. Anyone can take anyone else to court -- the test is in what the court makes of the case. My opinion is that there is no merit in those threats of legal action, and the courts will see it that way, and IIPM did it just to try to frighten Rashmi and co. (Which is why I wish Gaurav had not resigned, but that's another story). But that doesn't mean IIPM doesn't have the right to send out such a legal notice.

So I don't think IE's mention of this qualifies as "siding" with IIPM.

--
Posted by Dilip D'Souza to VKpedia at 10/14/2005 09:32:38 PM"

10/15/2005 04:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home