.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Monday, October 03, 2005

Even if you are God...

Yesterday, my uncle and I took a drive as far as Tiruninravur, a small temple town, some 20 kilometres from Chennai. On the way, we were discussing a host of issues. The topic turned to how the three primary Gods of the Hindu pantheon all had divine consorts, and how this was a distinguishing feature of the Hindu religion.

My uncle remarked that an exception was the Lord (Venkateshwara / Srinivasa / Balaji) of Tirumala, the most prominent of all Hindu temples. He remarked that the Lord of the Seven Hills stands alone, repaying his debts. (The Lord is supposed to have taken a loan from Kubera, and is repaying it even today.)

I couldn't help blurting out... "There is a significance to it. Even if you are God, you will be left alone if you are laden with debts!"

2 Comments:

Blogger oremuna said...

There is laxmi on his chest. Isn't it?

10/13/2005 03:40:00 AM  
Blogger Vijay Krishna Narayanan said...

That's right. (Precisely why he is known Sri Nivasa). But his real consort is at Tiruchanoor or Alamelu Manga Puram.

In any case, the comment was only meant as a joke.

10/13/2005 04:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home