.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Monday, May 15, 2006

Random thoughts

Take for instance, The Hindu's decision to waste the first page of yesterday's edition by displaying a picture of members of the Indian cricket team having a fun time in Caribbean waters. What an utter waste! I'm not saying that there are enough burning issues to occupy that space, but this certainly does not qualify to be there. Why should "the grand old lady of Mount Road" stoop to the levels of the page 3-est DC?

Confessions of a young girl

Last evening, some careless channel browsing led me to NDTV Profit. The family of the slain Indian engineer Suryanarayana was back in the news. His wife, the one who had consumed some poisonous stuff, is recovering. Personally, I detest this affliction of TV channels to place a camera in front of wailing family members; however, this news item was different.

It seems that Suryanarayana's eldest daughter, Anisha, is good at drawing. And she had drawn something (I don't remember what). When asked, she was saying, "I used to draw and show the pictures to many father. He used to appreciate me very much..." At the next sentence, I froze. "My brother is too young to understand anything. I don't know how I am going to explain to him." Perhaps only a simple sentence, but I found it heart-wrenching!

Thiruttu Payale

Watched this movie, partly because it was highly rated by the newspaper reviews. Not disappointing. The story is not quite believable, however the screenplay made it engaging. Despite Mirchi Suchi's dubbing, Malavika's performance in a negative role was good. The director could have chosen to avoid protracted stunt scenes. Not one to steal your heart, but worth a watch.

Ilaiyaraja's Thiruvasagam

After a gap of about 2 months, I am back to listening to the mastro's rendition of Thiruvasagam. What about it draws me so much, I wonder. Perhaps it is because this work combines three things I like very much - religion, poetry and music.

I have heard of oxymorons (contradictory terms, like "deafening silence"). Come to think of it, "religious poetry" is probably the best anti-oxymoron ever coined.

Excuse my lack of vocabulary; however, none of the online dictionaries I consulted have an antonym for the word oxymoron. And it is time to invent one. How about oxygenius? Or hydromoron? Alright, pardon me, I just woke up...

5 Comments:

Blogger The Observer said...

I don't know if you'll be checking the comments posted on your blog, but that's the only way i thuoght i could communicate with you.
Great blog.
Keep up the good work.

jai Hind

5/16/2006 09:51:00 AM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Mirchi Suchi's voice is very masculine and becomes unbearable at times. I think she is giving her voice to many jingles including some stupid hotel management ad which appears frequently during Sun News

5/16/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thiruttu payale...bj and i thought of going to TP with u this saturday.

5/17/2006 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger Ramya said...

ya thiruvaasagam is a master piece from the maestro.

5/17/2006 05:43:00 AM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

i sincerely feel that mirchi suchi must take a break from all these dubbing work. her program has turned good to bad and 'koffee wih suchi' is horrible , to say the least!
and by the way , was she the one who dubbed the saravana selvarathnam ad?

-
jvpoirot

5/26/2006 03:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home