.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Thursday, May 11, 2006

My vote

So whom did I vote for in the elections three days ago? The answer is irrelevant really, but at least I had a reason -- and most voters don't have one.

My mom recalls that in 1967, when C.N. Annadurai, fondly known as Arignar Anna, was campaigning, it was his practice to walk past every home and personally ask people to vote for the DMK. Those were days when Chennai had no TV station. Air-conditioned, high-security cars were not in vogue. And candidates used to walk, walk and walk to canvass for votes. (You see, they still remembered Gandhi in those days.)

Cut to 2006. The sitting MLA (2001 - 2006) in my constituency didn't come to within 2 kilometres of our locality. That's ok, really, because people in power forget those who voted for them.

But during this campaign, neither the DMK nor the ADMK candidate visited my locality. Agreed, it is the largest constituency in Asia, yet it is their place. If they want votes, they better come around and ask. I'm not saying they must come to every home and break bread with all of us. But what stops them from a drive past every single road?

I voted for neither principal party. I voted for the candidate who drove past my home canvassing for votes. He belonged to a party that won't win at all, I was sure. But he had passed the simple criterion. It was like Alan Shearer or Francesco Totti staying put at the same club though they knew they wouldn't win anything - yet they played week in week out. All they played for was the cheering crowd.

I voted for _____ of the ______ party, because he was the only one who cared to come around.

4 Comments:

Blogger paurna said...

u r talking bout villivakam constituency?

5/11/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger paurna said...

if ur talking bout that constituency then i will have to tell u that DMK,ADMK and DMDK members came to our area asking for our votes.But the one person who surprisingly didnt turn up was LP.Bcos of that we werent even aware that LP was contesting in our area.We came to know of it only on the voting day.

5/11/2006 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

Son of a gun! Did you actually vote for *that* party?!

Shame on you!

5/12/2006 03:54:00 AM  
Blogger Shankar said...

sithappu... naanum enga veettu pakkam vandha oru katchi kaaranukku thaan potten.. but appeet aayiduthu :-(

5/13/2006 05:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home