.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Does Trisha have a male voice?

While returning home from work a couple of days ago, I had to endure one of the worst Tamil film songs I have listened to in a long time. I had not listened to it before, so I couldn't arrive at the movie without googling. And you wouldn't disagree with me on the point that Olli Olli Iduppe Ottiyaanam Edhukku from Vijay's latest super-duper flop Aadhi is among the worst songs ever to (dis)grace Tamil film music.

Let's leave out the lyrics, of which the lesser said the better. But what prompted Vidyasagar to ask Anuradha Sriram to sing in a male voice, I cannot understand. Probably it is some situation in the movie where the heroine has lost a bet with someone and has to sing a particularly poor song in a particularly stupid voice.

This is not the first time that Trisha features in a song where the female lead sings in a male voice. I can recall that the equally poor Thiruppaachi had such a song too. Now, we all know that music directors pick playback singers to suit the actor and the situation. Other things remaining the same, I really really wonder what Trisha's real voice sounds like...

6 Comments:

Blogger Karthik said...

I think Anuradha Sriram has wasted herself singing such numbers.

5/28/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

I vivdly remember this song. It kind of takes your breadth away (not in a good way)

5/28/2006 05:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enna kodumai idhu, Ram!

5/28/2006 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Actually some of the music in this song is bearable, but the female lead is a real spoiler. more than Anooradha sriram's voice, the blame should also be put on the Music Director (Vidyasagar) as they do some modulation after the recording is done. this is a disturbing trend and i hope we see less and less of this in the future.

5/29/2006 02:17:00 AM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

wsn't anuradha sriram the one who sang 'appadi podu'in gilli? that too had a male voice and trisha

5/29/2006 03:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anuradha Sriram sings in what you call 'adi thondai'. It's not her natural voice.

6/04/2006 03:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home