.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shunya - India's slashdot?

Thanks to a friend, I stumbled onto Shunya - a site which claims to be "a community site for people interested in contemporary Indian Technology." Slashdot users will find the layout familiar.

The content is India-centric. For example, today's front page has articles on whether semiconductor fabrication plants are a wise move, outsourcing, Microsoft's desi-centric applications etc.

To compare it to Slashdot would be, I agree, just too much. However, the site is good for a start. Maybe with more users and more traffic, the site can take off big time.

Shunya is also available in Hindi, which is pleasantly surprising.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kaps said...

Looks promising.
Hmmm....can you believe that they don't offer RSS feeds. What sort of tech site is this?

5/25/2006 05:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kaps, I felt as much myself. I've mailed them about this.

5/25/2006 05:22:00 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

They do offer RSS feeds. I have subscribed to that on my google reader. Amazing coverage.

5/25/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

http://en.shunya.in/site/rss?lang=en

5/25/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karthik, the link to the feed wasn't displayed (prominently) on their site. I pointed it out to them, and now it has been added to top-left menu. Thanks anyway.

Also they offer a Hindi feed.

5/25/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the site was started after a slashdot submission of the shunya founder(s) was rejected. Slashdot is Slashdot, because of the community and it's going to be a while before shunya is anywhere near /. and shunya-ing enters the techie vocabulary along with slashdot-ting . One nice feature seems to be ability to vote stories up/down like reddit. Slashdot's acceptance of stories is rather arbitrary and sometimes, I have had my stories accepted after I submitted as 'Anonymous Coward' - Go figure !

5/27/2006 12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home