.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Another Microsoft bug

Just when the fame of the = rand (200, 99) bug in Microsoft Word reached another level, with Chetan Bhagat exploiting it in his latest novel, One night @ the call center, another geeky bug has come to light. Try this...
  1. On your Desktop, and create a new folder with the name "Notepad"
  2. Open any webpage in Internet Explorer.
  3. In IE, go to View > Source. Normally, this should open the HTML code of the webpage in the notepad program, but now it opens the Notepad folder on your desktop.
Microsoft-bashing being one of the world's favorite pastimes, let us indulge in it with renewed vigour, till they come out with a fix for this bug - or better, another bug!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I guess this has got to something with the order in which IE looks for notepad.exe.

But I am not sure why it looks at Desktop prior to looking at system32 (or wherever the actual notepad.exe resides)

With the 'Notepad' folder in desktop, I tried opening 'Notepad.exe' by typing 'notepad' in the RUN command. It was working fine then!! I think my guess of about search flow is probably wrong!!

11/25/2005 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But rand(200,99) is an easter egg. There are host of such things with other applications in the MS office suite, including a nice feel-good game with excel.

11/25/2005 02:25:00 AM  
Blogger Venkat Ramanan said...

You are for sure an MIT or for that matter a Stanford or Harvard material :) Your Nerd score proves that beyond doubt :)
BTB, Did you read ONATC? I got the book, but am not finding time to even open it :) Any reviews (I wanna hear from you!!)
Cheers!

11/25/2005 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ONATC is a good read. You can complete it in one sitting. Typical Hindi movie stuff. The one negative thing I noticed about Bhagat's writing style is that he plays too much to the gallery.

11/25/2005 08:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home