.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Sunday, September 04, 2005

There's something about Morrie

Have you ever really had a teacher? One who saw as a raw but precious thing, a jewel that, with wisdom, could be polished to a proud shine? If you are lucky enough to find your way to such teachers, you will always find your way back. Sometimes it is only in your head. Sometimes it is right alongside their beds.
What is there to write about a dying man? That he was gentle, kind and affable? That he was a good teacher? And that he has given us an important lesson...

Tuesdays with Morrie recaptures the lessons Mitch Albom learnt from his professor (of two decades ago) from the latter's bedside. Rare insights that provide a simplified view of our complex world... thoughts on how our understanding of the world, and life, and love, and compassion, and forgiveness, and culture, and money are so flawed. These gems of wisdom would make the reader elevate Morrie to the level of a saint, who shares with us the distilled knowledge of the ages.


Crisp, short and witty, these exchanges will definitely make you ponder about life and so-called conventional wisdom. I invite you to read this book, it is one in a million. Sample its opening lines...

The last class of my professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves, The class met on Tuesdays. It began after breakfast. The subject was The Meaning of Life. It was taught fom experience... The last class of my professor's life had only one student.

I was the student.
I don't believe in celebrating fad days; but Teacher's Day 2005, I dedicate to Professor Morris Schwartz!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morrie is a very important book. A rare gem among the many books that claim to be life-altering. I would also recommend Albom's The Five People you meet in Heaven

9/13/2005 05:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beg to differ but to be perfectly honest, i found TWM P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C...Pandering without shame to the lachrymal glands :-)

- Jupe

9/14/2005 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Vijay Krishna Narayanan said...

It is true that Albom tries hard at (many) times to portray Morrie's condition. It put me off on a few occasions. But the essence of Morrie's philosophy struck a chord with me.

9/14/2005 10:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home