.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Friday, August 19, 2005

Some raksha, some bandhan

[An email forward showing the lengths to which women go to win protection from their brothers!]

Among the traditions that are sadly being mocked at because of their misuse, Raksha Bandhan should be the undoubted winner. From the little Hindi / Sanskrit that I know, I decode raksha to be protection and bandhan as relationship - and symbolised by a thread (awfully decorated) tied by a girl on the wrist of a man she considers her brother - someone who would protect and defend her.

RB 2.05, the latest release, is a paradigm shift from the early versions. Nowadays, the urbane types scout for guys whom they perceive to be the most troublesome. That guy's been eyeing me for some weeks, let me tie a rakhi. A rakhi which actually signifies a bonding that is beyond the mundane and the average has now turned into a gross, cavalier tool that is used to win protection from the hand it is tied to.

One reason I'm happy I'm not the girl-chasing types is that I don't need to run and hide on Raksha Bandhan day. But honestly, what is going on is sacrilege; it is a rigmarole and is intolerable. It negates one's belief that civilisation makes us move forward. And if this is civilisation, then I don't want to be a part of it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder what RP will have to say about RB

9/09/2005 02:41:00 AM  
Blogger Vijay Krishna Narayanan said...

Yeah, actually I wanted to write about all that happened on that "fateful" day in college... but decided not to.

9/09/2005 05:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home