.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

VKpedia

Life as I'm learning it

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States

"It little profits that an idle king, By this still hearth, among these barren crags, Match'd with an agèd wife, I mete and dole Unequal laws unto a savage race, That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me."

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

2 JEE or not 2 JEE?

Tonight, I made a big decision. I'm going to take the JEE, and go to one of the IITs. I think I will meet the requirements, like 60% in Class 12, and not more than one previous attempt (I have never given the JEE before). There is only one problem: I carry with me an engineering degree, and more than a year of IT industry experience.

That logic sucks, right? So why the debate?

Except for the timing, the Government did get this one right. Surely, 60% in the Class 12 exams is something even a dud like me would have managed... eyes closed. To say, I studied so hard for the IIT entrance that I flunked in English reeks of stupidity of an unclassifiable order.

Secondly, there needs to be a cap on the number of attempts. To limit it to one is cruel; but whether it is two or three is of no real significance. There will always be that odd student who secured AIR 10 at the age of 27, and went on to found Moon Megasystems and became the world's fifth richest man. But that's not an argument we can buy from a hundred thousand people.

Dr. P.V. Indiresan, former Director of IIT Madras, remarked on NDTV tonight that " ...students should also realise that there are more things to life. People can join other good colleges and do well in life."

There is no questioning the pre-eminence of the IITs; they are part of everyone's dream. But those who really succeeded were the ones who woke up and started studying. Not the ones who dreamt that at age 25, when they should have completed their Ph.Ds, they would crack the JEE and get into that "coveted" B.Tech programme.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anand K said...

this is quite true.. the things people are willing to subject themselves to in order to get into the IITs r mind boggling!! Of course.. I belong to the category of ppl who never really started studying till 10 days bfore the screening exam but I have seen first hand the efforts which some ppl put..

well.. lets see what other new rules these guys come up with!!

9/13/2005 09:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home